I am aware that for many people 2021 is not a year they’ll remember fondly. So I am all the more grateful to have so many happy moments to share with you—many related to the fact that 2021 was the year Michael and I finally made our dream of living abroad come true.
So, without further ado, here are the best moments of 2021 (in no particular order).
- The moment Dad and I arrived in Santiago de Compostela after walking 87 miles in 5 days.
- The moments when, after walking five hours with Dad, I got to see Mom:)
- The moment Michael texted the pictures of our Spanish visas that I just arrived in the mail.
- The moment Michael said, “I’m ready. Let’s move to Barbados.”
- Every moment spent sitting in 80 degree sun of Barbados–especially when is was 21 degrees back in Asheville!
- The moment I realized Micahel had given me his own ocean view room in which to quarantine during my first days in Barbados.
- Every moment I discovered something else wonderful Michael had done to set me up for a lovely quarantine: fruit plate in the fridge, bottles of wine, chocolates, and a sweet card welcoming me there.
- Quiet moments spend in quarantine writing blog posts.
Like this one. . .
- The moment I got to see Michael in Barbados after four weeks apart.
- The moments walking on the different beaches of Barbados with Michael each morning.
- The moments spent dining, drinking, talking with new friends in Barbados.
- The bittersweet moments spent with family and friends before we left for Spain.
- Every moment I was able to understand something in Spanish and/or explain what I needed in Spanish.
- Every moment someone said how impressed they were with my self-taught Spanish. (Whether they were being honest or not–it was still nice to hear!)
- The moment we were able to end our search for an apartment in Valencia.
- The moment I was accepted to volunteer in Grado, Spain at an albergue on the Camino.
- The moment I learned of my acceptance to volunteer in Saint-Jean-Pied-De-Port, France, in July, 2022.
- Every moment a parent thanked me for helping their child with math class.
- Every moment I wake up and realize 1) I have no requirement to be up at a certain time and 2) I’m living in Spain!!!
- The many moments spent having coffee and meals with Michael and/or friends at streetside cafes all over Spain
- Every moment Michael and I spent discovering new places in France, Germany, and Portugal.
- Every moment spent with friends in Germany.
- The moment I saw how THRILLED Michael was that I FINALLY went scuba diving with him.
- Every moment I thought, “This would never be allowed in the US.”
- The moments spent with Michael wondering what we should do about the bulls on our front lawn in Asheville.
- All the moments watching the local fauna on Barbados:)
I don’t know how to end this. . . I feel like I say this WAY too much, but I’ll say it again: I never would have imagined. . .
Thank you to the bijillion people that made this year possible for us. We wouldn’t have gotten here had it not been for people I know and people I’ll never know (who put that Visa in our passports?). So many of you reading this listened, offered support, advice, encouragement, and congratulations. Thank you, thank you. And now . . . back to making new memories in 2022.